Please don’t adopt a Snow Leopard

Please don’t adopt a Snow Leopard

Just seen this advert on television.
I might be over reacting, but you may know this topic is an important one not just for me but for a lot of people across the UK, most of whom you will never meet.

Be careful watching the advert below may change your life… (then again…)

Reasons to Adopt a Snow Leopard

1. Snow Leopards  are very cute.
2. Snow Leopards are a wonderful part of God’s creation.
3.  Snow Leopards are an endangered species.

But genuinely adopting a snow leopard will turn your life upside down.

Let me give you 5 reasons not to ADOPT a Snow Leopard.

1. Adoption involves offering a Snow leopard the same place in your family as your birth children this is probably an unwise move.
2. Adopting a Snow Leopard means making a snow leopard eligible to an equal share of your estate on your death this is a big investment.
3. Adopting a Snow Leopard means you promise to do your utmost to meet all the needs that a Snow Leopard may have for the rest of your life this is a life long commitment.
4.  Adopting a Snow Leopard means your children get a new sibling to share your affections – this could get awkward.
5. Adopting a Snow Leopard means taking on board all the trauma that animal may have received and may have psychologically or physically wounded them for life – this is a huge commitment for anybody.

How about instead we limit the concept of adoption to children who are in need of a family.

There are 6000 waiting children in the UK alone. We can’t really make adverts about them in the same way as the Snow leopard.
Let’s not demean what these children need most in their life by likening it to a temporary financial arrangement a charity might want you to undertake with a beautiful but in the end distant animal. Let’s not call giving financially to a charity that supports wild animals adoption; lets call it sponsorship.

Animal sponsorship has its place – but the concept of it is often based on using guilt, sympathy or fear to get you to give regularly to a programme.
If you do sponsor a snow leopard you get a nice picture to put on your fridge, you get the conscience easing feeling that you are making a difference, you may even get letters from your sponsored animal. You are helping a particular animal (ok  sometimes you are not twinned with a particular animal it is a programme you are supporting instead) to have a better life. You might want to check if the programme you are supporting really is helping in the long run – some animal welfare programmes create dependencies which mean the animal is never going to be any good in the wild again but will always need to rely on donor intervention – so you might not have done good to the animal in the long term. So please consider sponsoring a snow leopard.

But definitely consider offering a child that needs one a home for good through adoption.

Snow-Leopard-Blue-Eyes

So by all means sponsor a snow leopard but lets save adoption for children there really is no comparison.

35 Comments

35 thoughts on “Please don’t adopt a Snow Leopard

1. Ailish Eves (Lish) says:

Thanks, Krish. I have been steaming away since the advert for Snow Leopard started. So glad you are doing something a lot better than steaming.

1. Nothing says:

Your wrong i love snow leopards and when I adopted them, their population went up a lot. I think that it was always my dream of actually
      protecting snow leopards. It upsets me when you say not to adopt snow leopards and all that stuff you said sounds made up. I watched
      the video they were doing nothing to hurt them and I think you’re just being a bully to snow leopards.

1. stn says:

You are a moron.

1. Nothing says:

Who me or Krishk

1. Nothing says:

Oh my god I hate you guys because snow
            leopards are my boyfriends and
            girlfriends

2. Anonymous says:

Great message! I cringe when I see some of these
      commercials about adoption, for I, too, feel they cheapen
      the word adoption as well as the importance of child
      adoption. Tese commercials with the heart wrenching
      songs and stories manipulate the viewers into thinking
      with their hearts instead of thinking logically with their
      minds. Another commercial that really bothers me is the
      St. Jude’s hospital for children! My dad donated to St
      Jude’s every month by automatic bank draft, and did so
      because their commercial pulled his heart strings after
      he had been diagnosed with leukemia, and saw the
      children who are cancer victims on the commercial.
      When dad passed away, we had a horrible time trying to
      get away from their collection agents because they tried
      to persuade us into believing it was a binding contract
      that dads estate was responsible for!!! I was so upset
      when I began to do some research on their organization,
      and learned their board of directors are paid almost
      $1million a year….except the CEO who is paid almost
      $3million a year!! PLEASE CHECK YOUR
      PEOPLE/ORGANIZATIONS OUT THOROUGHLY
      BEFORE MAKING DONATIONS

2. Jim says:

Are you actually serious? I can’t believe what I’m reading here. Adopting a child and adopting a snow leopard on a purely financial basis (and a very tiny financial contribution at that) cannot even be compared in the smallest sense.

I think you need to go outside more.

3. Chris Wooff says:

“If you do sponsor a child you get a nice picture to put on your fridge” I assume you mean “animal”!

4. Giovanni Muralo says:

Are you an idiot? You can’t seriously be that dumb. Adopting a snow leopard, as advertised, does NOT mean bringing the animal home and raising it as part of your family. It’s a “symbolic” adoption. It’s a donation to the WWF. You don’t get an actual snow leopard. You’re donating money to them to help them in their fight to protect endangered animals, animal rights, etc.

Therefor all of you “why not to” points are completely invalid. You have no duty or obligation to the animal. You don’t share the animal with your family. It’s not even really a sponsorship. It’s a donation to the WWF and in return you get a stuffed animal and a certificate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

And how you can possibly relate this to adopting a child is madness. You could never support a child for $3 a month. And you can’t “adopt” a child in any country by donating to an orphanage and telling them “hey, I’ll send you $3 a month, but you have to keep the child there”. One has NOTHING to do with the other, and NO ONE is going to sit there and say “I would love to adopt a son, but see I just adopted this snow leopard for $3 a month from the WWF, so I’m kind of tied right now”.

Please tell me this is a joke. You should be flagged for trolling.

1. Thanks for your comment – perhaps you missed the nuance of what I was saying. I was contesting the word adoption being used about something that clearly isn’t adoption. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. It would be wrong to call it “divorce a snow leopard” just because once a month you have money deducted from your account – the similarities between animal sponsorship and adoption are equally tenuous. I am an adoption campaigner and cat lover – but I am expressing my opinion that adoption is not the right word to use. Are you saying I shouldn’t be allowed to express my opinion about this? Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion on my blog.

2. John Falmer says:

Would someone please explain how a Snow leopard running wild can be adopted. This charity cannot get anywhere near these animals either to feed or to give any medical treatment needed . neither can they protect them from poachers. If the Army and Police of these countries with all their resources cannot protect them, then a charity with with non of these resources, certainly cannot. We are constantly being shown films on TV of protected animals that have fallen foul of poacher. So just what is it that this charity claim they can do that the authorities cannot?

3. Lola says:

Are you American? I ask because Americans generally don’t understand irony. Of course he’s not suggesting you’re actually adopting a snow leopard and I’m amazed someone can be so dim as to miss the point of the article. In any case, if you really want to help snow leopards, don’t give money to WWF: it mostly goes to overpaid executives. Instead, invest in charities that promote the non-use of ‘medicine’ animals in Asia. Asians have backward views on the medicinal value of rare animals. Of course it’s all bullshit, but people like the Chinese tend not to give a shit about the environment, or anyone but themselves for that matter. They do however give a shift about making money, hence the exploitation of these creatures. Until they evolve from their primitive, deformed cultural understandings, these animals are doomed.

4. Marlena says:

Amen !!!! I HEAVILY AGREE !!! I cannot believe the
      post on this page about bringing it home after
      adoption?!?!?!!? Can someone on any level really be
      that DUMB lol 🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂 Your donating
      money to the WWF and in return you get a small gift
      NOT A REAL SNOW LEOPARD you dunce!!!! Lord I
      have now seen it ALL after reading the post (that
      wasted my time and brain power b.t.w) on this page. I’m
      now seeing that your living proof that common sense is
      NOT so common lol jeez….. 🤔🤔😆😆😆😂😂😂😆😆

1. Marlena says:

I ment I agree with the people that commented
        that your post is absolutely ridiculous and out-
        landish

5. Leon Wozlonis says:

Ty for saying what we were all thinking

6. stn says:

Are you really this stupid? This article is a joke about adopting a snow leopard.

5. Suzie says:

I get what you’re trying to say, but it’s essentially a linguistic issue. It would be impractical in any language to have a completely unique word for every concept, so some words come to have multiple meanings, and “adopt” is one of them. Presumably you don’t get upset every time you hear that someone has “adopted a political stance” or “adopted an air of superiority” or “adopted a different faith”. Most native English speakers knows that the meanings in the contexts above are different than in the meaning of adopting a child, and that the meaning is different again in the context of adopting an animal. I think that’s where the confusion lies in the previous comments – most people who watched the advert immediately understood that the word was being used in a specific context and had a specific meaning, so they don’t see why you didn’t understand that.
    Being passionate about a concept (and I have an IMMENSE amount of admiration for your passion and the work you do to raise the profile of adoption in the church) doesn’t mean that you get to claim the word denoting that concept as your own and delete all of its other meanings and nuances from the language.

6. Suzie says:

*Most native English speakers knows that the meanings in the contexts above are different than in the CONTEXT of adopting a child, and…

7. Mbiru says:

Indeed adoption is too strong a word to use for the act of sending money to the WWF to support a snow leopard. If I sent even a thousand pounds every month to an orphan, it may be kind and a good civic deed but it’s not adoption.
    By the same token, if the snow leopard lived in my house like a pet cat, adoption would still be too strong a word.
    It’s good to look after animals but it’s far better to look after people. After all God has placed his likeness in people not animals. Like the author, I think accurate semantics is a good place to start.

8. Andy says:

Krish, so glad your wrote this – as an adoptive parent it drives me crazy that zoo and wildlife charities use this language.

Sure, ‘adopt’ has nuanced meanings but clearly the one that charities want people to think about is the one of ‘treasure as your own’. The ‘cute’ cuddly toy and photo, the ‘adoption pack’ etc. is all indicative of it.

But adoption isn’t so easily taken over and your sardonic post is well aimed and well timed. Adoption is not short term, not financially focused and not cute and cuddly. It’s far more important, costly, lasting and real.

9. Sam says:

Wow, I can’t believe what I’m actually reading from people like Krish and Mbiru. Not only is Susie right in her explanation of the definition of adoption and perhaps some people need to refer to the dictionary meaning, but all living creatures including men, women and children as well as all animals deserve a right to live and to be cared for by the more fortunate. I wasn’t going to bring god into this, but since Mbiru started on the bandwagon, don’t forget that god made all living creatures and how do you know his likeness is in people, I don’t believe anyone has met god to confirm or deny this.

Animal charity organizations used the adoption programs to encourage people to invest a little money in saving endangered species from extinction, but I guess for some people it doesn’t matter, their children and adopted children can read and see pictures of animals in books, it doesn’t matter that they no longer exist.

So, before I leave this site never to return because of the ‘dumb’ people as Giovanni politely put it, maybe it’s noting that all humans and animals need saving and adopting!! Also before you start criticizing my post just to give you some information I own 4 cats, I sponsor children and animals overseas including a number of bears and I’m in the process of adopting a young toddler.

1. stn says:

4 cats?! You must live alone. And the WWF does nothing with the money they get to actually help any animals. The money goes to line
      pockets of the people running the WWF.

10. Ian says:

I agree with John Falmer, it would take 1000 helecopters on round the clock surveillance for a year to perhaps save the life of one snow leapard. A cuddly toy doesn’t do it.

11. leopard says:

You’re a retard

12. kent says:

@leopard – well said. I cannot believe how brain dead people are these damn days.

13. Blind Own says:

I see where your coming from, and i dont see why they use the term ” adoption ” . Instead, they should just ask to donate, not to full out OWN one

14. Noodle says:

This website makes me sick. You should be ashamed of yourself. Animals will all be gone soon and then all we’ll have left are human beings- I hope you’ll be happy then.

15. Gamingma22ter says:

I like turtles

1. Anonymous says:

I like curry

2. Anonymous says:

curry power

16. Timothy S Flanigan says:

Get a life people!

17. D says:

Here’s an idea…. stop wasting money on the commercials and use that. I see this commercial on more than any other

18. Tom Katt says:

I would rather make contributions in the amount of $8 per month for
    the pelt of these animals instead. I could care for their pelt deaped over
    my living room couch. This would ensure that the spirit of the animal
    would last forever, (or until I donate it for the tax deduction).