It is often said that people treat church’s a little like helicopters…
…we keep our distance so we don’t get caught up in the rotas.
I have been studying the book of Romans for a new Bible study resource for small groups. I have been reflecting on Romans 8:1[quote_simple]Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death [/quote_simple]
Sadly in church rather than celebrating the fact that we are released from guilt and condemnation by Christ’s life and death on our behalf we often use guilt as a means of manipulation in our recruitment of people for rotas.
So how can we avoid this?
Here are my tips, but I would love your help to make them better:
Instead of playing on someone’s insecurities in persuasion we need to help someone understand their new identity in Christ.[styled_box title=”When trying to recruit someone for a job: ” class=””]1. try and help people see how the role will help them grow in their relationship with God.
2. try and help people see how the role will help someone to serve God’s purposes.
3. try and match a person’s gifts and experience with a need or opportunity
4. try and help people experience a range of different roles until they can find one that suits them
5. be careful how long someone ends up doing a job – try and not make it a life time commitment with no end in sight
6. keep in mind we are less interested in getting people to do jobs but rather to grow people through jobs
7. give people a clear brief and train or mentor them into the role if possible
8. try and inspire people to a vision of what the church could be if this role was being done really well
We have been working hard at including young people in adult roles in the church – in order to
a) build intergenerational friendships
b) help young people know they are wanted and needed in the life of the church
c) turn young people from passive receivers to active participants
d) allow young people to experiment with different roles to test callings etc
What do you think friends, what are ways you have found it possible to motivate people to volunteer for jobs that need doing in church (especially the unglamorous ones).