Must admit I am looking forward to watching Idris Elba play Nelson Mandella in the “Long Walk To Freedom” biopic. After “The Wire” and “Luther” it’s about time he got a good meaty role to play. He got such a lame role in Thor it’s good to get to see him land such a huge role. Love the look of this movie and of course a new U2 song “Ordinary love” to go with it is a coo. But looking at the trailer I do have a couple of questions:
1. What do my South African buddies think of the portrayal of the Afrikaaners?
From the trailer it looks like we are going to get another cartoonish portrayal of unremittingly evil white people and irrepressibly good black people. I understand why we do this in light of the horrific injustice that was perpetrated.But this is an oversimplification and is in fact a form of racism in itself.
2. Wondering what the will do with Winnie Mandella
Although she was the one who kept the ANC going when Mandella was in prison she ended up doing some pretty horrific things with her gang of thugs too.
“she was convicted of the 1988 kidnapping of a 14-year-old boy subsequently murdered by the “coach” of her Mandela United football club. Her marriage to Mandela was also on the rocks – they divorced in 1996 – and she would later be convicted of more than 40 charges of fraud. Cast into the political wilderness, a rise to the top echelons of the ANC was out of the question. And as an MP, she has been criticised for rarely attending parliament.”
3. What do we make of Idris Elba’s accent?
4. Really looking forward to see how they handle Nelson’s shift in thinking re violence to reconciliation to me that has got to be the heart of the film.
Wondering how that will play out in a Hollywood movie – where the audience are geared up for a final show down where evil doers get wiped out.
5. I wonder if Mandella was consulted in the making of the movie?
6. Have U2 made the whole soundtrack?