During my recent visit to Saddleback church I met some of the team responsible for their Global Church planting initiative. I really enjoyed spending time with the guys there – they seem like really stand up guys with a heart for evangelism and mission. They shared with me the PEACE plan vision to plant churches in 12 major cities worldwide. One of these cities is London. We chatted frankly about the opportunities and challenges of Saddleback planting churches into some of the world’s “megacities.” They were adamant that they don’t want to airdrop in a franchise model of church but to plant locally led, contextually sensitive church plants. I also talked with them about the Saddleback brand attracting people away from other churches but they were keen to express that they are seeking to reach-out to not-yet-Christians. I explained that I am both excited and nervous about them planting. On the one hand in London for example there are more than enough churches already and there should be ways to bless and encourage existing churches rather than planting yet more. But on the other hand London is a city with a population of larger than many countries and it is far from being a reached city and so we need all the help we can get. I am hoping there will be plenty of opportunities for Rick Warren’s fantastic gifts and skills to bless many church leaders in London beyond the plant they are hoping to start this year. They are definitely trying to contextualise and this is behind the fact that they are looking for a UK leader for their new church plant – details are below. The team are planning to make a lot of visits to London and are expressing a real keenness to talk with local leaders before they plant anywhere.
For the right person this could be an amazing opportunity.
Global Leadership Search
Do you want to help plant and lead one of the 12 Saddleback Churches we’re planting around the world in 2012? If so, we could use your help in these cities:
Mexico City Buenos Aires Freetown Johannesburg
Berlin London Moscow Amman
Manila Tokyo Hong Kong Bangalore
If you haven’t seen Pastor Rick present the 12 Cities Initiative, watch it here.
Saddleback Church is seeking teams of two to three leaders to plant a Saddleback Church in these 12 cities. We are looking for lead pastors, associate pastors, worship leaders, and children’s leaders. The churches will target spiritually lost people in urban areas.
These churches are being established and resourced for two purposes:
1. Reach lost people in each of the cities
2. Serve as base camps for equipping other churches to work together in reaching the 3,800 unreached and unengaged people groups in the world.
Leaders selected to establish these “gateway” churches must be:
- Vibrant, mature, and growing relationship with Jesus Christ that is evident to the people around them
- Able to cast vision, gather people in pursuit of a cause, and effectively delegate and utilize the gifts of others
- Strongly self-motivated entrepreneurial spirit that is resilient in the face of challenges and able to quickly and flexibly adapt to unforeseen circumstances
- Skills in public communication
- Heart for spiritually lost people evidenced by active personal evangelism
- Full agreement with the theology and philosophy of Saddleback Church (see here), the Purpose Driven model, and the PEACE Plan
- Personal experience and knowledge of the culture including fluency in both English and the primary language of the city as well as eligibility to reside in country
If you are interested in applying for a leadership position with one of the city churches, apply here.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
What do you think?
There’s been a very interesting to this post since it went up on Saturday – would love to gauge your opinion – here is an anonymous poll – sadly only the first 200 respondents count.